Why does our skin age?
When we are younger our skin works in a very productive way making plenty of Hyaluronic acid (hydration molecule), Elastin (keeps our skin bouncy) and Collagen (keeps our skin plump and youthful), however from the age of 20 our skin makes 1% less collagen and elastin every year. It’s natural cell renewal process also slows down, resulting in the skin becoming dull and uneven in texture. External factors also contribute to premature ageing and how we live our lives has a huge impact on our skin. Ageing is a fact of life, but looking your age is a choice!
What contributes to premature ageing:
- Sun exposure – UVA rays in the sun contribute to premature ageing resulting in lines and wrinkles, UVB rays cause pigmentation and age spots
- Smoking – This is one of the most damaging things you can do to your skin, as smoking starves your cells of vital oxygen needed for normal function
- Pollution – A build up of pollution on the skin can cause pores to clog and result in skin damage
- Drinking alcohol – Alcohol has been found to reduce the skins ability to form elastin fibers
- Diet – Eating fast food and high sugar diets affect skin health and slows skin renewal processes
- Make up – Wearing thick make up that doesn’t let your skin breath slows down skin cycles
- Not using the right products – Using high street moisturiser and not regularly cleaning or exfoliating the skin will disrupt skins natural function
What should the different age groups be doing to prevent and treat premature ageing:
- Under 20’s – Focus on keeping your skin clean with a cleanser and protect it from sun damage with daily sun protection. Use mineral make up to allow your skin to breath
- 20’s – 30’s – Get a simple cosmeceutical skincare regime to support your skins natural function, do not buy high street products! Your regime should include; cleanser, exfoliator, toner, sun protection and ingredients such as Vitamin C, low level Vitamin A and Hyaluronic Acid. Having regular HydraFacial’s is a fantastic way to keep your skin cycles renewing and give it a monthly deep clean. You are still at the preventative stage, so this is the best time to start anti-ageing as prevention is easier than cure
- 30’s – 40’s – Time to get a bit more serious and step up the skincare. Still have the same sort of routine as the 20’s-30’s, but you should be looking at more active ingredients with higher potency. Monthly HydraFacial’s are still recommended to improve overall skin health and occasional Innopen (micro-needling) treatments can be added in to stimulate collagen and smooth lines
- 40’s - 50’s – We are now ready for some of the more potent Retinol’s (vitamin A) to start repairing collagen cells. A good skincare regime is still recommended as above, but would also benefit from including growth factors to smooth out lines and wrinkles. Monthly HydraFacial’s are still recommended but with the added ‘dermabuilder’ multi-peptide formulation included, as peptides are the proteins that make up collagen. A course of Innopen (micro-needling) treatments can be added annually to stimulate collagen, dramatically smooth lines and tighten skin
- 50’s – 60’s – Similar to the 40’s – 50’s however we would want you on the slightly more potent Retinol (vitamin A) and recommend you use this more regularly than younger clients. Innopen (micro-needling) is strongly recommended in combination with HydraFacial ‘dermabuilder’ treatments to improve the skins collagen making abilities
- 60+ - Similar to 50’s – 60’s however we would recommend doing an intensive course of 6 ‘dermabuilder’ HydraFacial’s combined with Retinol and then doing an Innopen (micro-needling) course of treatments in combination with HydraFacial for best results
With over 18 years combined experience in the Aesthetic industry, we have treated clients of all ages and have equipped ourselves with the right tools to manage all ageing concerns, while considering budget and lifestyle.
All of our treatments are results driven and clinically proven to make sure you get the youthful, healthy skin you deserve.
Scroll down to follow links to the best treatments available for Anti-Ageing. Use the Book button to arrange a HydraFacial, Innopen (micro-needling) consultation or general skincare consultation to discuss your options further.
For more information on Ageing - Lines And Wrinkles please Click Here.
If you would like to know more about Ageing - Lines And Wrinkles please fill in the form and we will be sure to get back to you soon.
We use a range of procedures to tackle Ageing - Lines And Wrinkles
Please Click on one below for further information.
The internationally renowned, multi award winning skin health treatment. HydraFacial is a multi step facial that effectively extracts congestion, softens fine lines, smooths and deeply hydrates the skin with instant results visible and long term benefits, suitable for all skin types with no pain and no downtime.Read More
The treatment creates a controlled wound to the skin to stimulate collagen formation and results in rejuvenated skin. It effectively treats acne scarring, body scars, lines and wrinkles, open pores, stretch marks and can be used to generally rejuvenate and freshen up the skin.Read More
Medik8 is dedicated to producing high quality skincare products with the best ingredients at the right strengths, and with a proven track record. The brand has tailored lines for specific skin solutions. It is a vegan brand and uses recycled glass and minimal packaging to be eco conscious.Read More
Ageing - Lines And Wrinkles FAQ
As outlined in the age group section above, for visible improvements it will depend on your skin condition, age and what you have previously been doing to your skin. Treating someone at 50 who has never done anything to their skin is harder than treating someone at 60 who has always looked after their skin.
Daily skincare is essential for normal cell function and monthly HydraFacial's are the best treatments to improve skin health and get it working in a more productive way. For the best results Innopen micro-needling is recommended to create a controlled wound to the skin and stimulate collagen production.
The best advice we could give anyone to prevent premature ageing is to stop using high street moisturiser and replace it with a dermatologically tested sun protection, like Heliocare.