What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition that affects the majority of the population at some point in their lives. While most people who suffer from acne experience the condition when they reach puberty, adult acne can develop as late as your twenties or thirties. Characterised by congestion, redness and white pustules, acne most commonly affects the face but can also develop on the back and chest.
Common acne symptoms:
- Clogged pores – these usually manifest as either whiteheads or blackheads and are caused by an overproduction of skin cells
- Painful lumps – formed as either nodules or pus-filled cysts, these painful lumps sit much deeper below the surface of the skin than regular spots
- Oily skin – it can be difficult to determine whether oily skin is a cause or symptom of acne, but it is commonly found in people with the condition
- Bacteria – increased sebum production and clogged pores create the perfect environment for acne-causing bacteria to further multiply
Common acne causes:
- Hereditary - if one of your parents has over productive sebaceous glands (oil glands) then this can be passed onto you
- Diet - those with diets high in sugar, greasy food or alcohol can find that this causes unwanted breakouts
- Deficiency - Acne has been linked to deficiencies in Zinc, Vitamin D and unhealthy gut bacteria
- Hormones - Most women will find that they get a break out around the time of menstruation
How best to treat acne?
- Mild – This can be controlled with topical cosmeceutical skincare combined with monthly HydraFacial’s to deep clean the skin
- Moderate – Topical skincare is still recommended, HydraFacial’s may need to be performed weekly, bi-weekly or monthly
- Severe – When the skin is very pustular it will first need to be calmed down with topical skincare and blue LED light therapy to kill the acne producing bacteria. Once the breakouts have reduced it is then recommended to have either weekly, bi-weekly or monthly HydraFacial’s
With over 18 years combined experience in the Aesthetic industry, we have seen all grades and severities of acne and have equipped ourselves with the right tools to manage all conditions while considering budget and lifestyle.
All of our treatments are results driven and clinically proven to make sure you get the clear skin that you deserve.
Scroll down to follow links to the best treatments available for acne. Use the Book button to arrange a deep cleaning HydraFacial or general skincare consultation to discuss your options further.
For more information on Acne please Click Here.
If you would like to know more about Acne please fill in the form and we will be sure to get back to you soon.
We use a range of procedures to tackle Acne
Please Click on one below for further information.
The internationally renowned, multi award winning skin health treatment. HydraFacial is a multi step facial that effectively extracts congestion, softens fine lines, smooths and deeply hydrates the skin with instant results visible and long term benefits, suitable for all skin types with no pain and no downtime.Read More
Medik8 is dedicated to producing high quality skincare products with the best ingredients at the right strengths, and with a proven track record. The brand has tailored lines for specific skin solutions. It is a vegan brand and uses recycled glass and minimal packaging to be eco conscious.Read More
A combination of skincare and treatments is usually recommended for the optimum results. Keeping your skin clean at home and controlling oil production is essential to stop spot causing bacteria.
If the acne is very severe, it is advised we calm it down initially with blue LED light therapy using the Dermalux. If it is less severe then it is most advised to have the signature HydraFacial which can be specifically tailored to treat acneic skin concerns.
Lifestyle definitely has an impact on acne so bear in mind trying to reduce consumption of sugar, dairy, greasy food and alcohol, drink plenty or water and try supplementing with Zinc, Vitamin D and probiotics.
Using high quality skincare to keep skin clean is imperative. Use cosmeceutical grade cleansers, exfoliators and toners with ingredients such as salicylic acid and glycolic acid which are very effective for the treatment of acne.